Thursday 29 January 2015

Hear the Voice of the "Inner Child" by Mike Peirce

A while ago I wrote about the concerns I had regarding the growing signs of disparity among many of us connected with the government inquiry into child abuse. I write as a survivor, well experienced in the hell that is complex post-traumatic stress disorder, who took the desperate road of using drugs to stifle my pain, ultimately leading to addiction and……… you know the rest.

My hope when writing was that as any rightful and fully expected initial feelings of frustration, anger, abhorrence of CSA and all what it brings were aired and out in the open, we would then get to the stage where dialogue would help move us to where we belong: at the forefront of positive change. I hoped for understanding, the putting aside of personal and organisational agendas and, perhaps forlornly and too optimistically, to work alongside officialdom to get the job done.
I fully respect how difficult it is to even contemplate working with government representatives. I fully understand, with trust right out of the window, how we feel, how we hurt, how there is no room for forgiveness.  As I write this I am reminded of my own ‘inner child’ the little chap who was faced with abuse and all its consequences, who developed duodenal ulcers before he was seventeen years of age, who underwent surgery: the surgeons efforts to cut out the pain I held within a futile attempt; there was no chance surgery would work. Of course there was a reoccurrence: I know how to do hurt.

Today I write to plead with all factions to hear the voice of that little chap who I have referred to above because there are so many more little chaps and little girls – perhaps you are aware of your own ‘inner child’ – who need and deserve to be heard. There are so many who are hurting at intransigence that could effectively block progress. As survivors we have the capability, and are in a better position than ever to ensure there will be long-lasting, positive change and during all this, perhaps even justice. 
But this will not happen unless we make it happen. This will not happen unless we are prepared to acknowledge and ‘own’ the fact that our individual actions could thwart the hopes and dreams of others. I question my own and others right to do this

Survivor to survivor I am asking if we can all go on and on until we cannot go any further and then go twice as far. Please, let’s ensure we do not allow the inquiry to fail because we are prepared to put ourselves first at an unacceptable cost to others who are hurting; perhaps even more than us. This need not and surely must not happen.
Best wishes
Mike Peirce
January 2015

Published by Team Inspire with the permission of Dr Mike Peirce
29.01.15

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home